Ways to Clean Up Nutrition Without Counting Calories
Counting macros is a very effective and efficient way to change your body composition but it is not the only way. Some people don’t ever want to count calories and that is fine! I am going to share some ways you can clean up your nutrition to fuel your goals without counting macros/calories.
- Eat three meals per day. Half your plate should be covered by vegetables, a quarter should be protein source and a quarter your carb source. Stop eating when you are 80% full, eat slowly and drink a glass of water before and after each meal.
- Drink half your body weight (lbs) in water daily (ozs.). You can also drink black coffee, tea and zero calorie soda as needed.
- Snacks and Alcohol are fine but take it easy. A good gauge is to pick two from the list below. The same two are fine.
- One serving of fruit, one serving of beef jerky, one square of dark chocolate, one hard boiled egg, one serving veggies, one serving of something “less nutritious”, one small glass of wine, one shot of hard alcohol with zero calorie mixer.
- When in restaurants ask for dressings and sauces on the side. When in doubt choose a salad. Skip dessert. Really want dessert then skip your snacks and alcohol for the day. Stop eating when you are 80% full. Really want dessert AND wine? Ok that’s fine, just go back on track the next day.
It’s not as complicated as it seems, you just need to find the right balance. Balance is key!